Gwibber by default?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Apr 6 17:05:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 04/06/2010 09:53 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> My impression is that Ubuntu One allows you to sync to other computers
>>> across an Internet connection.  I'm not sure how deeply tied that
>>> functionality is to the service or if it would be relatively straightforward
>>> to write a new backend for that.
>>
>> If we get a new backend that doesn't rely on proprietary software on the
>> server end, it would useful for very useful for Fedora and I can
>> certainly buy into that.  At this point, the additional dependencies are
>> just bloat without any coherent vision or purpose within Fedora.
>
> So it would be useful for our users - but I'm not sure if we have the
> resources to provide a service like that - unless we were tying it to
> fedorapeople.org (and vastly increasing the capacity of that service)

>From what I know we would need to be running CouchDB plus some layer
of glue code on fedorapeople.org.  I'm not sure how resource intensive
that would be, but certainly more resources than just SFTP access to
upload static web content.  Plus remember that Canonical offers Ubuntu
One to more than just the developer/packager community, it's open to
anyone that runs Ubuntu.

--
Jeff Ollie