Gwibber by default?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Apr 6 19:41:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Luke Macken <lmacken at redhat.com> wrote:

> Ah, interesting.  I noticed that the desktopcouch-tools has a pairing
> utility, but it sounds like we would need seperate code to pair the
> user's databases with the central service.

Yes, that's what the Ubuntu One client tools do.  The client tools are
GPLv3 so in theory someone could package them for Fedora.  There are
any number of other packages in Fedora that enable access to
proprietary services (Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, are ones that
come to mind immediately).  I wouldn't expect the Fedora Project to
really *promote* Ubuntu One except that would make it easier for
people that use both Fedora and Ubuntu (or want to migrate from Ubuntu
to Fedora) to share data between their systems if they so choose.

> As far as allowing users to use this to sync their configuration across
> multiple machines on their local network -- that /should/ be possible
> with the current code, right?  If that is the case, even without a
> central service behind it, I do see value in that.

Yes, pairing/replication on the LAN should work - all the code should
be there, except that one or both computers in the pair will need some
ports opened in iptables.  I haven't gone that far in my testing yet
to know precisely which ones.  I don't think that there's a good way
yet in Fedora to dynamically open ports in iptables.  I haven't looked
around to see if Ubuntu has a solution for that.

> As far as creating a Fedora "cloud" service for configuration
> storage/syncing -- that is a whole other story.  It is apparently going
> to require diving into the ubuntuone code to see what it actually does,
> along with determining what is open & freely available for us to use.
> When speaking with Canonical guys behind this at PyCon, they made it
> sound to me like all we would have to do is drop in CouchDB and have
> things Just Work.

Yeah, I think setting up a Fedora One is a *little* more than having
things "Just Work" but I don't think it's very complicated either.
Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to go in the direction of setting up
a Fedora One cloud service that stores all of my data.  I'd rather
have a service that let my systems replicate to each other no matter
where in the world they were or what firewalls they were behind.
Basically a limited form of proxy that would help systems connect up
to each other.

--
Jeff Ollie