Unblock Avahi by default (for the Desktop live CDs)

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 13 20:11:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Tue, 13.04.10 15:04, Seth Vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) wrote:
>
>>> What does that bug report to do with the firewall and the desktop live
>>> cd?
>>
>> having avahi running and active by default.
>>
>> if various tools dep on the lib, then a system won't end up with avahi
>> installed and running by default. The above is something of a surprise to
>> many folks running servers.
>>
>> the comment from JH is the admin/manager of kernel.org who was a bit
>> frustrated by avahi running as a service.
>
> Right. And what does that have to do with the firewall of the desktop
> live cd?
>
> I mean, i am not opposed to introducing a seperate package for the avahi
> libs, but i wonder what that has to do with the firewall of the desktop
> live cd?
>
> And mentioning an admin's tale about a server is not really to the point is
> it?

Perhaps I misread the original comment - but it was the suggestion of
having avahi running by default.

Do you mean having that be the case from the livecd or from the package
itself.

If the former, then you're right it's a side issue. I thought the latter
was being discussed which is why I brought up that report.

thanks,

-sv