Unblock Avahi by default (for the Desktop live CDs)

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Apr 13 21:45:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 01:38:05PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 16:11 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> > Perhaps I misread the original comment - but it was the suggestion of
> > having avahi running by default.
> >
> > Do you mean having that be the case from the livecd or from the package
> > itself.
> >
> > If the former, then you're right it's a side issue. I thought the latter
> > was being discussed which is why I brought up that report.
>
> I think both are being discussed somewhat.  It'd be nice to do it
> everywhere, so that the regular install does match somewhat the livecd
> case, but as a fallback, just doing it on the livecd is less
> contentious.  I'd certainly like to see it on the livecd, and then I'd
> also like to see us work toward having it on regular installs too, in a
> way that will keep most parties happy.

I don't know if this is related to Avahi or not, but with the default
firewall rules I can't see my friend's printers shared via his Mac
system.  As soon as I turn off the firewall, the printers show up in
the GNOME printing dialog.  It would be nice if this just worked
correctly out-of-the-box and in the LiveCD case without needing to
fiddle with firewall rules.