PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:13:17 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 14.04.2010, 11:01 +0200 schrieb Jaroslav Reznik:
> On Wednesday 14 April 2010 10:47:12 Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Xfce for example has no agent ATM, so users should be free to
> > choose ether polkit-gnome or lxpolkit. This could be easily done it we
> > allowed installing them individually. The choice which one is started
> > could be easily done graphically in the session properties.
>
> For desktops that ships own polkit agent you don't need this freedom. Actually
> it's quite bad - own polkit agent is usually designed to be an integral part
> of it. For now - polkit-kde is standalone package but it's for now before
> transition from the old one to new one is done. Then we'd like to have it as
> part of kdebase-workspace again and shipped together. Of course - situation
> for other desktops could be different (Xfce etc.) and this has to be solved.

I agree with you for KDE: KDE is a big all-in-one desktop environment
and polkit-kde is the only Qt based agent It doesn't make sense to use
another agent but the KDE one, so it makes sense to add it to
kdebase-workspace.

For the GTK based desktops the situation is a little different, at least
for Xfce and LXDE. People should be free do decide if they prefer the
lightweight version of LXDE of the more powerful agent of GNOME. Let's
not make the same mistakes than Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I'm pretty sure our
spins wouldn't be as successful if we followed there approach and make
Xfce or LXDE just another GNOME.

> Jaroslav

Regards,
Christoph