spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Apr 21 13:40:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've spent a little time looking at the hardware side of things and
> done a basic patch for some of the hardware stuff based on the current
> rawhide comps file. I've broken it down into network/server/misc for
> the time being and pushed the print stuff over to its group. More can
> be done as it was a quick look through. The old hardware-support
> currently includes all the other groups so there's no real change for
> current builds overall.

This looks like a good start.  I think the way this kind of thing
should work in general is that the system detects if you have the
hardware, and dynamically installs support for it.  We'd need some
database mapping things like USB ids to packages.  Networking is an
exception; we should include as many drivers/tools for
networking-related functionality as possible so that the system can be
bootstrapped.

Basically: if you have a GPS chip, gypsy gets installed and runs.  If
you don't, it doesn't.