spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 15:17:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 09:40 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> This looks like a good start.  I think the way this kind of thing
> should work in general is that the system detects if you have the
> hardware, and dynamically installs support for it.  We'd need some
> database mapping things like USB ids to packages.  Networking is an
> exception; we should include as many drivers/tools for
> networking-related functionality as possible so that the system can be
> bootstrapped.
>
> Basically: if you have a GPS chip, gypsy gets installed and runs.  If
> you don't, it doesn't.

I've been banging a gong about something like that for years; right now
it's much too hard to know what you're supposed to do to make
$RANDOM_GADGET that you just plugged in actually work, but we can hardly
install the software for every USB device under the sun by default.
There's a clear need for something like this. Really it's just a kind of
widget that sits between udev and PackageKit, I think.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey