spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:52:58 UTC 2010

Heya,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> These were simply examples. There's zillions of them. We certainly don't
> install every package we provide for certain hardware peripherals out of
> the box, I don't think that can be debated.

And this illustrates one reason why conflating different problems into
"package management" isn't really great for producing the best end
user experience.  An application package, driver package, application
plugin package, font package, desktop background package, core os
package are all very different things that probably should have
different experiences around them (or be entirely invisible).  One of
the things David was pointing out is that we suck in part because we
don't attempt to define what is in the core system and what isn't.
He's right.  And we should fix that.

The fact that there are zillions of random parts of the Fedora distro
is one of the things that makes it not an OS.

Jon