Updates next steps

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 05:13:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 23:42 -0500, charles zeitler wrote:

> now we have proposal after proposal, trying to produce
> a "stable release" and insisting on imposing such a level
> of "stability" into Fedora's releases, that i fear the result
> would seriously interfere with the original goals of this fine
> distribution.

I believe your conflating a couple of our deliverables.  There is
Rawhide, which is our development stream.  All kinds of fun stuff
happens here, and this is where the new stuff lands to be tested out and
experimented with.  If you build it, it'll show up here.

From that we have our Branched deliverable.  This is a more conservative
tree that makes use of updates-testing as a buffer before it lands in
the public tree.  We create this when we're ready to stop adding new
features to a release and instead polish the ones that made it in, and
focus on the bugfixes for the release.  This is where things start to
get stable, and we start to expect that things won't break from one day
to the next.

Lastly we have our Stable Releases.  These are the things we publish
every 6 months with much fanfare and hooplah.  These also make use of
updates-testing as a buffer before updates, and even more stability is
expected here.  We expect that our users will consume these stable
releases and use them day after day, and that things won't regress or
break or change behavior from one update to the next.  People who wish
to live in the edge have the choice of using rawhide, or updating every
6 months or so to the next Branched tree.  Those folks who want an
operating system that includes new technology (at the time) and remains
stable throughout the life of the release while still getting security
updates and bugfixes should be able to find that with the Fedora
releases.

The recent talk and proposals regarding adding stability is on that last
deliverable, the actual releases.  Increasing stability there and
limiting updates to the bugfix and security issue type should not have
an impact on Fedora's ability to innovate.  In fact it should free up
more resources to innovate within rawhide between releases.  It will not
interfere with the original goals, it will in fact make those original
goals more attainable, as the original goals included having a usable
OS.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!