spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 09:45:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 09:40 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I've spent a little time looking at the hardware side of things and
> > done a basic patch for some of the hardware stuff based on the current
> > rawhide comps file. I've broken it down into network/server/misc for
> > the time being and pushed the print stuff over to its group. More can
> > be done as it was a quick look through. The old hardware-support
> > currently includes all the other groups so there's no real change for
> > current builds overall.
>
> This looks like a good start.  I think the way this kind of thing
> should work in general is that the system detects if you have the
> hardware, and dynamically installs support for it.  We'd need some
> database mapping things like USB ids to packages.  Networking is an
> exception; we should include as many drivers/tools for
> networking-related functionality as possible so that the system can be
> bootstrapped.
>
> Basically: if you have a GPS chip, gypsy gets installed and runs.  If
> you don't, it doesn't.

Most of the GPS devices you won't be able to detect. 99% of the
Bluetooth ones don't use the correct device class because it was too
new, most of the serial/USB ones will just show up as serial ports that
you would have no idea what's behind them.

All that to save 120k of installed space. If we're going to go down that
route, we might as well split out the iPod support in Rhythmbox, or the
PulseAudio Bluetooth support.