Updates next steps

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 12:05:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

2010/4/23 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
> On 04/23/2010 10:45 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 10:33 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible for each SIG/yum group to have full control on it's own
>>> update policy which they can adjust to their target audience instead of
>>> trying to provide a solution that might not fit everybody?
>>>

>> These kinds of split setups don't really work, because dependencies will
>> make a big mess out of it and cause you to get most of the update flood
>> after a while, even if you only want security updates.
>>

> Then that's a technical problem that needs to be solved first if
> consensus is going to be reach within the whole community and this be
> discussed on only one SIG mailing list.
>
> If that's not possible then Rel-Eng should sit down with representatives
> from all SIG's and QA where the update policy is decide for the whole
> community then the result of that or those meetings will be posted and
> the community informed that what's going to be put for trial and
> adjusted as needed.

Or maybe its just that spins as they are defined now aren't such a
good idea.  They don't really have the flexibility to define and
design their own experience.  The difference between GNOME and KDE for
example, to the user, is nearly as great as the difference between
Windows and OS X.  Spins are each different operating systems with
diverging not converging experiences and goals.  We have a development
architecture that forces agreement or artificial commonality between
very different things and it is no surprise that we have a lot of
conflict.

See  http://www.christoph-wickert.de/blog/2010/02/20/spins-suck/ :
Chrisoph Wickert "spins suck"
Kevin Kofler  "Let’s fight together against GNOME-centricism in Fedora!"

Good times!

Look, creating a compelling operating is real fucking hard.  No,
seriously, really really super fucking really hard.  If we devote all
of our energy and time into creating one operating system we probably
can't even pull it off.  But we certainly can't pull it off if we have
4 different operating systems stepping on each other toes, getting in
each other grill, sucker punching, and begrudging.  No way.  Honestly,
even if we manage to widen our community (remember Fedora is just one
small part of the larger open source community, folks) to include
other projects with similar goals and all work on one thing we'll have
a really difficult struggle on our hands.  But the good kind of
struggle - creative struggle - not the destructive struggle we
currently have in Fedora.  Like Kevin, I want to fight too.  But
unlike Kevin, I want to fight to create something monumental - a
tribute to open source.  Something that can demonstrate to the world
that we can.  The other kind of fighting - is mud.  And the rest of
the world understandably walks right past it.

But this is all way off topic for this thread.

Jon