Updates next steps

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 23 19:30:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 14:06 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> so it seems like in lieu of changing our updates policy right now we
> should:
>
> 1. continue the autoqa work
> 2. help those checks have more/better meaning for our
> packagers/developers/contributors
>
> and then reassess things once the autoqa is in place and being enforced?

We need to do both of these things, for sure.

And we can address part of the 'update frequency' problem client-side,
by only checking for new updates once a week.

But one problem which we cannot address client-side, and for which 'do
nothing now and reassess later' will not help at all is the amount of
updates. Even if you only check once per week, the flood of pointless
updates is a problem. That is that part of the problem that we need to
address with Jon's 'establishing norms or rules to limit changes'.

Matthias