Some Ideas About Fedora 14 Media

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Apr 28 12:45:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 03:06:25PM +0800, Liang Suilong wrote:
> Better experience: Live/Install Hybrid DVD
> Looking at install DVD, it looks too old. To add a Livesystem on DVD media
> can improve user experience. However, unlike Anaconda on install media,
> Anaconda on live system can not load a repository on media or a remote
> repository. That's a great problem.

It should be theoretically possible for rpm to be enhanced to handle
"detached headerdata" so that it can treat the unpacked files from the
Live image itself, combined with the "detached headerdata" as a
"package" suitable for use in upgrading an existing Fedora install.
There would need to be a lot of effort to make this work, however.
When I brought this idea to the rpm5 maintainer, he was amenable to
the it, although I have no idea if it has ever been done in the
several years since I brought it up.