Droid Sans

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 20:20:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 16:01 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think we want to consider switching to Droid Sans for the default
> font.  At the very least I want it included on the install/live media.
>  What do we need to do to make this happen?
>
> I seem to recall there were some technical reasons why we weren't able
> to make this happen for F12.

The two main issues are:

1) Some technical problem with the fontconfig configuration causes
Japanese desktops to break if Droid is even installed.

2) Coverage: Droid may be ok for the US, and asian languages have their
entirely separate fonts anyway, but Dejavu is much better in covering
WGL and Eastern Europe. Droid will probably give users there a miserable
mixture of fonts