Fuse Workspace Union

Bill Peck bill at pecknet.com
Thu Apr 29 22:04:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 12:35 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I just received a phone call from Stef Bon, a fellow Dutchman who's been
>> working on a Fuse technology based module to make it easier, and more
>> transparent, to a user, to mount, navigate and use pluggable storage devices
>> and network resources like Samba shares.
>
> >From a quick glance, this is something that gvfs already offers,
> user-space filesystems and fuse integration for non-GIO applications.

But its a poor implementation, the gvfs-fuse one that is.  If you have
an app that doesn't understand the gvfs virtual filesystem (most
don't, even the gnome apps!). Then your only bet is to use .gvfs fuse
dir.  But its not easy to find for a normal user.  and it doesn't
automount the volumes.  So if your photo program has
~/.gvfs/Server/Photos as your photo dir and you launch it without
first mounting it via gnome then it fails or worse yet, removes the
index for all your photos.

What this person has implemented looks like it works and with any app.