Droid Sans

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 13:20:56 UTC 2010

> Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) said:
> > That still leaves the question if we want to do this switch like any
> > other UI tweak, or tie it to the coming major UX change, the shell.
> > Peoplea are very sensitive to font changes, so it might be easier to
> > swallow it if comes coupled with an entirely new UX...
>
> Also note that the shell (in my brief testing) completely ignores
> the gnome2 default fonts settings. I'm guessing that's intentional, and
> would have to be fixed by swapping the priority to make Droid the default
> 'sans' match in fontconfig.

No, it's not intentional - it really should be picking up the GNOME font
settings - just not implemented yet. But yes, currently you'd need to
change the fontconfig settings to see Droid in the shell.

There's one other note about Droid vs. Deja Vu Sans - which is that the
current GNOME Shell designs contain a lot of bold (including the top
panel) and Deja Vu Sans has a very BOLD bold which doesn't look good
when bolding more than a word or two. So if we stuck with Deja Vu Sans
we'd have to trim down the use of bold in the shell.

- Owen