GTK+3 advisiblity for F14?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 18:12:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 22:16 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I have not yet had time to fully understand how the proposed 2.32 plans
> to handle these problems, so I don't have a final proposal for F14 yet,
> beyond moving the Gnome3 feature to F15.
>
> I'll try to get a clearer picture of 2.32 tomorrow.

After talking to fellow GNOME release team members a bit, it seems that
the plan for 2.32 is to make everything build with GTK+ 2.x (since there
will be no GTK3 yet), so this is what I recommend we should do, now that
F14 has been branched off:

- Rebuild everything against gtk2. In some cases this may have to wait
for an upstream version with a --with-gtk=2/3 configure option.

- In cases where we updated our packages to a 2.90 version that will not
be part of 2.32 (and thus may not get a --with-gtk=2 switch), we will
have to introduce epochs and back down to 2.31.x versions.

- Wrt. to GConf > GSettings migration, I'm still a bit in the unclear,
but it seems that the control-center is likely going to push ahead with
getting that completed for 2.32.

Comments ?