Speed up user login into desktop.

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 17:03:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:24 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 08/23/10 12:20, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Urks, LVM snapshots!
> >
> > That said, I am pretty sure you have the consensus of the desktop group
> > now, as nobody defended LVM.
>
> I agree that on laptops LVM is not all that useful.  But on desktops it is as
> it allows easy resizing and reallocation.
Well, I've done precisely this on my laptop... But since I already have
it created, I don't care about the defaults myself, and for people who
leave the default partitioning untouched, having LVM is probably not
needed...

> What I personally want to see our default auto-partitioning do is to create a
> separate '/' from /home, such that reinstallations don't wipe out /home.

+1. But IIRC, last time this was discussed it got stuck up on deciding
how much space to use for / and how much for /home...

Martin