Hands-on: new single-window mode makes GIMP less gimpy

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Feb 9 09:55:39 UTC 2010

On 02/08/2010 12:55 PM, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> 2010/2/5 Valent Turkovic:
>> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/02/hands-on-new-single-window-mode-makes-gimp-less-gimpy.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss
>>
>> Can't wait to get my hands on single-windows GIMP!
>
> personally i think that is rather a step back for professional users
> than a step forward since it kills alot flexibility. To get more

I still have not tested the development version (we don't have it
packaged in Fedora) but from looking at screenshots (since a few months
ago when the feature was introduced) my mind is still split, I think I
will have to use it extensively to understand if it is a step forward or
a step back. At the first look, it wastes a lot of space but on the
bright side is close to the Inkscape layout.

> professional audience for gimp working on stuff like CYMK support
> would have been alot more useful. (feedback from nearly all
> professional layout artists i have contact to.).  but thats a
> completly different discussion and story.

That's true only if the developer who worked on the single-window mode
would have been the one working on CYMK instead and not doing other GUI
stuff.

On a related note, read this about CMYK support in Inkscape:
http://codewideopen.blogspot.com/2009/12/inkscape-should-not-support-cmyk.html

GIMP people will argue you don't need CMYK for the *entire process* but
only at the end, when preparing for print.