The backup

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Mar 3 17:08:06 UTC 2010

On 03/03/2010 06:50 PM, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> What are you going to backup.

In an ideal world you would backup *everything*.

> The OS is 'backed-up' on the live CD, the applications are 'backed-up'

That's the base OS, without any applications and without updates. Going
up-to-date will take a lot longer than restoring a backup.

> all over the web, the repository lists can be found in Google, and the

Hunting for apps and installing them online means you can't use your
computer for your needs.

> user files can simply be copied onto a flash memory - 64 GB for example.

Are you joking? When did you copy last time your /home on a flash
memory? How long did it take?

> What is more with every new installation of the OS you are becomming
> better and better - this is a unique chance to improve your skills and
> to update or upgrade the OS.

I take you never lost you /home so far...

> What are you going to backup.

Usually every user has to decide for a backup strategy examining various
trade-offs: size, space, time, importance of data.
For a simple user (the target of the Desktop spin) I expect to be about
documents, data and settings.