The backup

Brad Banko brad.banko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 19:21:22 UTC 2010

As a simple home user... I use Grsync from the desktop to backup my home
directory to an external drive, and once per month, I use rsync to copy
backup drive to a second drive.

I really like Grsync from the desktop... two clicks to activate my standard
home directory backup, but I don't understand how to use it from the GUI
desktop to backup say, the entire home directory without tinkering with
everybody's permissions.

For an all-users data backup, I usually just drop into a terminal, log in as
root and use rsync.
I like backing up my data in simple standard file structures that don't
require any special software to read through... my main backup drive is
formatted NTFS.  Occasionally I boot the machine into Windows, and it is
nice to be able to access all of the Linux files backed up there easily from
Windows... and vice-versa.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>wrote:

> On 03/03/2010 06:50 PM, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > What are you going to backup.
>
> In an ideal world you would backup *everything*.
>
> > The OS is 'backed-up' on the live CD, the applications are 'backed-up'
>
> That's the base OS, without any applications and without updates. Going
> up-to-date will take a lot longer than restoring a backup.
>
> > all over the web, the repository lists can be found in Google, and the
>
> Hunting for apps and installing them online means you can't use your
> computer for your needs.
>
> > user files can simply be copied onto a flash memory - 64 GB for example.
>
> Are you joking? When did you copy last time your /home on a flash
> memory? How long did it take?
>
> > What is more with every new installation of the OS you are becomming
> > better and better - this is a unique chance to improve your skills and
> > to update or upgrade the OS.
>
> I take you never lost you /home so far...
>
> > What are you going to backup.
>
> Usually every user has to decide for a backup strategy examining various
> trade-offs: size, space, time, importance of data.
> For a simple user (the target of the Desktop spin) I expect to be about
> documents, data and settings.
>
> --
> nicu :: http://nicubunu.ro :: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/
> --

========

Plan or attend a Linux Installfest near you soon.

Ubuntu, fedora, OpenSUSE... take your pick...  Soon there will be Google
OS,,, maybe even Google Android for the desktop.

OpenOffice for your document management...