Simple Scan

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 17:04:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 10:12 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 23 March 2010 17:13, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> >> Should this replace xsane or not?
> >
> > Yes, please. I've sent the author a patch upstream to add color
> > management support, which was impossible to do sanely using xsane.
>
> Done, thanks.
>
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=comps.git;a=commit;h=b99407050d6c167fcdbe7176d5674615a68b92f4

No shit Sherlock. Did you for one second think about that simple-scan is
far from being an xsane replacement? I doubt that simple-scan would let
you scan&fax and I'd be most surprised if it were integrated into image
manipulation apps like gimp.

I know that the XSane UI is rather baroque, and replacing the default
scanning app with simple-scan for your proverbial Aunt Tilly is
sensible. But for some use cases like those mentioned above, or e.g.
scanning transparents where you don't really get around tweaking
gazillions of parameters (exposure, focus, gamma, which frame of the
film you want to have scanned...) if you want decent results, having a
tool that has all these controls is essential.

Completely removing xsane/xsane-gimp from comps was totally uncalled
for, I've added xsane again as optional and xsane-gimp conditional on
gimp. Not seeking my input before doing so was just bad style, I've
repeatedly asked on this list(*) to involve out-of-team-maintainers if
you intend to do something to their components. It's really not that
hard.

(*):
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2008-October/004481.html
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2009-July/005001.html

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty