F-13-Beta Live images are > 700Mib

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 29 15:44:06 UTC 2010

Hello,
Interesting one question raised regarding the LiveCD as is, why would
someone install using the LiveCD and have to do much work to get all
that is possible with fedora working. My answer is something I was
planning to bring up as a separate topic, accessibility tools for those
with disabilities (eg. the blind). Currently the LiveCD is about the
most accessible install for the blind, however there are a few problems
which I feel can be overcome relatively easily (this is compared with
the work it might need to make the standard install discs accessible). I
probably will discuss the points in much greater detail in a new topic,
but here is a brief list:

* How does a blind person know when the LiveCD has booted? Waiting for
the CD to stop is not a good solution as it may stop when the GDM login
screen appears and before the timeout is reached, and anyway a USB drive
doesn't make noise like a CD drive so makes that impossible. My
suggestion, have a login sound (there is an app in the start up for this
but it seems there is no sound in the theme associated to the event).
* As the installer uses extra permissions it is inaccessible as fedora
LiveCD is not configured for accessible admin apps. Solution would be to
write a /etc/orbitrc file to allow this.
* The TTS provided is festival, possibly slow to respond, may be bulky
and only in english. If espeak was the default TTS it would solve these
issues (it may need some alterations to package dependencies).
* The dreaded firstboot app, this is inaccessible as it runs outside the
normal gnome session (I have actually launched firstboot inside gnome
and it seems reasonably accessible, its more that the accessibility
framework (at-spi and screen reader need loading around it).
Alternatively if all firstboot stuff could be done in the installer on
the LiveCD it could solve the issue (most other distros don't seem to
need firstboot).
* A few issues in how orca behaves with the installer. These are
possibly minor as either the user can puzzle it out with flat review or
by being patient (eg. location selection orca responds painfully slow in
the combo box, may be this could be split into two smaller lists, one
for continent and one for country).

Probably you would be interested in a little about me. I am a blind
linux user (using linux for over 5 years now). I have to say that Linux
is very good for me, partly as it doesn't have the high costs of
commercial accessibility solutions as found on windows, but also that
Linux accessibility actually offers me greater freedom as it allows me
to install the system from scratch and do all the maintenance
independently. I recently decided to have a look at fedora. While some
community members have made a speakup (a text console screen reader)
modified fedora install disc, as it uses the text based installer it has
serious limitations (having to clean off the whole hard drive). For this
reason I looked at the LiveCD, and while the accessibility experience in
general is fairly good, there are some serious issues which make the
install process more complicated than it should be (firstboot is
probably the biggest problem from the user perspective). This is quite
disappointing from such a major Linux distribution, a number of other
distributions don't have this issue (opensuse, opensolaris (admittedly
not Linux), I believe ubuntu and a handful of less well known
distributions). I would be willing to help with solving some of the
issues but I don't know how much I could do on my own.

Michael Whapples