sudo by default?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed May 5 12:52:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, 05.05.10 10:22, Yaakov Nemoy (loupgaroublond at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2010/5/4 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>:
> > BTW: another reason to enable sudo by default is to unify things a
> > little across distributions: to my knowledge Ubuntu (and related
> > distros) set up sudo like that. It would be nice if folks coming from
> > their would have an easy path to administrating Fedora systems.
>
> I disagree with this logic. It's too much like the 'if your friends
> all jumped off the brooklyn bridge, would you do it too?' logic
> parents use to convince kids not to do drugs.

Well, it might come as a surprise to some, but actually Ubuntu is not
just a bunch of imbiciles, and it kinda annoys me that whenever
something comes from or is done in Ubuntu, people saya: "well, if Ubuntu
does it, then it is questionnable because they don't know what they do
and their distro is only used by noobs".

Well, that's simply bullshit.

It is a good idea, and taking inspiration from their work and working
towards minimizing the differences between the distros even if that
means we make a step in their direction, is nothing like jumping from a
bridge, taking drugs, or convincing your kids about that.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net