sudo by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 17 22:41:25 UTC 2010

> > I would expect changes to /etc/sudoers or /etc/pam.d/sudo to happen
> > globally and not only on the spin. Not sure what exactly we are talking
> > about but I'm sure we are not talking about changes in the livesys
> > initscript that will affect the live mode only.
>
> I ... wouldn't, necessarily. At least, if we're really going to allow
> people to target different use cases, we can't be tied to the least
> common denominator and still make progress.
>
> Of course, that goes back to the purpose of spins, and what they can
> and can't do.

I agree. This is a classic case where lack of use case focus hobbles the
planning. The discussion of a good system of gaining root privilege for
the desktop use case has been sniped by reference to the server use
case.

Ubuntu doesn't have this problem - and hence was perfectly happy to use
the sudo setup - because Ubuntu clearly and confidently refuse to target
the server use case in the Ubuntu product. They have the Ubuntu Server
product for the server use case (and, I assume, that doesn't use the
same OOTB setup Ubuntu uses). Hence no problem for them.

When we lack that focus, we get into these circular, tail-chasing
discussions. As Jon McCann said in his reply, the current spin situation
just gives us the worst of both worlds - the appearance of
differentiated products, but with problems in really differentiating
them in ways we really ought to, because we insist on lots of
'consistency' between the spins.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey