packages using gsettings

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue May 18 03:22:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 23:44 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 22:04 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > GConf is finally on the way out, it is being replaced by
> > GSettings/DConf. From a packaging perspective, the following facts are
> > important to know if your package starts using GSettings:
>
> Do you have a reference handy for more general information about the new
> system - what's changed, what the rationale/benefits are etc? Thanks.

I am not trying to sell GSettings here, merely trying to point out the
effects on packaging... but I can give you some pointers and highlights:

GSettings is just the API, with pluggable backends. From a 10.000 ft
perspective, the GSettings API is fairly similar to GConf. If you look
closer, there are some nice improvements, such as the ability to bind
settings to GObject properties.

The actual storage implementation will (very soon) be provided by dconf.
DConf uses dbus where GConf uses ORBit. And it is optimized for reading
- there are no roundtrips, reading is all in-process.

API documentation: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/2.25/settings.html

Man pages: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/2.25/tools.html

Porting guide: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/2.25/ch23.html

Porting example: http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-utils/log/?h=gsettings-tutorial