Changing themes in rawhide

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 12:24:52 UTC 2010

> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 02:01 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > >  If so, what is the new recommended way to
> > > change themes?
> >
> > The recommended way is not to, and use the nice new themes we're
> > preparing for GNOME 3. If you really want to tweak, gsettings on the
> > command-line for now. There's supposed to be a tweak panel coming at
> > some point.
>
> on a pragmatic level, I think we're *really* going to want to have some
> sort of tweak mechanism available in F15 (assuming we do wind up
> shipping Shell in it). Otherwise the masses are sure going to be
> revolting. I like using default themes, but when I tell people this they
> usually seem to look at me as if I've grown an extra head.
>
> (I'm not entirely sure it's even theoretically possible to settle the
> great 'Aw3som3 Killer Dark Theme' vs 'Cool Mac-Like Light Theme' debate
> with a one-size-fits-all default, either. If some kind of color
> customization of the default theme is available that'd probably be
> enough; mostly people seem to equate 'theme' with 'color', in my
> experience.)

There's nothing stopping the tweakers from getting started on writing
the plumbing app. There's a mockup here:
http://www.hadess.net/2010/02/were-removing-settings-again.html

And gnome-control-center has plenty of examples of how to write panels.
Somebody just needs to get started with it.

Note that this wouldn't go in gnome-control-center itself.