f14 and orca

Jonathan Nadeau nadeau.jon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 09:51:25 UTC 2010

On 9/30/10, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 21:19 -0400, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I just tried out f14 and orca really doesn't work. When you first
>> start orca it does not go through the set up like it normally does.
>> Instead it starts right away like it has already been set up and
>> doesn't let you go through the orca configuration. Orca does start to
>> talk but you can't move around on the desktop or anywhere like the
>> gnome menu or any of the panels. When you press a button on the
>> keyboard orca just says the key you are pressing. It's as if orca
>> doesn't have focus of the desktop and can't move anywhere. I figured I
>> would try to erase the config folder in the home folder by going to
>> the home folder and pressing control h to show the hidden folders and
>> there was no .orca folder to erase I'm not sure what this means but
>> this is what I have found. Thanks for your time and help
>
> Thanks, Jon. Can you check for a ~/.config/orca maybe?
>
> I just ran Orca on my desktop and it popped up the Orca Preferences
> window and played a 'Welcome to Orca' message. Is that what it's meant
> to do?
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

I don't have f14 installed right now because I need something up and
running that I can use. But I know there is always a .orca folder in
the home folder. So I can't check to see if there is a orca folder in
the .config folder. As far as what you see when you type in orca you
should see that eventually but not right away. When you first type in
orca to start it it should ask you first to choose your language and
then what keyboard set up you want like desktop or notebook along with
some other choices. But it skips all of this and goes straight to the
orca preferences which is what you see. Even though it skips this set
up process you could still set up orca through the preferences but if
you notice like I said even though orca comes up and is talking you
can't get orca to even read the preferences box or get orca to open
it. It seems that that orca doesn't have focus on the desktop and you
can't get it to move around the menus or panel or like I said even get
orca to open the preferences. If you have f13 around somewhere you
will see how orca is supposed to run. Thanks for your help and time.