HDD bad sectors repair

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 12:34:06 UTC 2010

'On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:43:04PM -0700, Hristo Petkov wrote:
> Hi,
> I am on F11 and the the HDD is Samsung HD320KJ - nothing exotic.
>
> I have bad sectors on my HDD and there is no option to repair them -
> the S.M.A.R.T. provides only information and an option of erasing
> the whole disk, and also a notification that my hard disk is sliding
> down. I disabled the notification, but the problem remains.
>
> I found .iso image of HUTIL on the website of Samsing, burned it on
> a CD and it detects at the Read Surface Scan test one bad sector,
> allocated to C:10992 H:1 S:1379 Ecc error I expect when I write in
> the linux terminal: badblocks -r /dev/sda:10992 H:1 S:1379 to repair
> the bad sector, allocating the data somewhere else - however nothing
> of the kind is anticipated.

Hristo, please help us keep this list on-topic.  This list concerns
development of the Fedora desktop, and not help or support for user
problems.  Your question is best directed to the "users" list, which
handles these sorts of topics.  Here is the page where you can
subscribe to that list:

Thank you.