F14: what to do about pino / twitter

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 00:51:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM,  <herrmann at redhat.com> wrote:
> How would you define a "proprietary web service"?
>
> Is google such a service ? The only open protocol used by connecting any app to any of their servers is http, xmpp etc. Everything behind is closed. So we remove firefox ?

Exactly. We've been down this road. Anything which can view arbitrary
content can be used to interact with proprietary services. Do we not
ship the Exchange support for Evolution? Do we not include f-spot (I
realize it's not in the default spin) because it's able to export to
Flickr (Shotwell can too, BTW)? Where does it stop?

I think that based upon our (upcoming) vision statement, all of these
things fit. People are in control of the content with all of these
programs, and have to make a conscious choice to use the external
service. . Eliminating choices of what to do with that content in fact
explicitly goes against that vision, since the user is no longer in
control.

When you think longer term, about what's good for Fedora, it becomes
clear that restricting users to interact solely with free services
does not further our goal of attracting more users to the platform,
therefore increasing the pool of potential contributors. I *do* think
that for applications which support a mixture of free and non-free
services, the free services should be presented as defaults.