F14: what to do about pino / twitter

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Oct 2 04:31:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 23:49 -0400, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

> >Those aren't the same thing. When it comes to a twitter client we're not
> >talking about 'arbitrary content', we're talking about an app whose sole
> >purpose is to provide *specific* content to a *specific* service. If
> >pino is neutral between twitter and identi.ca by default, as someone
> >suggested, then I think it's clearly fine.
>
> So, to explore this line in the sand further, are we saying for a user
> of Fedora:
>
> 1) it is okay to use twitter via a web browser (Firefox, Epiphany,
> etc.)
>
> 2) it is not okay to use twitter via a dedicated client like Pino?
>
> How exactly is this going to help the goal of freedom?

That's not the right way of looking at it. It's not about whether it's
'okay' or not. We hardly send stormtroopers out to people's houses to
investigate what software they use, after all. We don't shoot people for
using nvidia. We just don't *provide* it. Don't move the goalposts.

> If anything this kind of arbitrary banning could end up hurting
> freedom by encouraging people trying Fedora to instead either just go
> back to an entirely proprietary system, or go with another
> distribution that doesn't care about freedom as much.

That's a very limited, short-term view.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey