laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 16 17:34:24 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, den 16.10.2010, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Martin Sourada:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:12 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:26:29 +0200,
> >   Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It would help to list which spins went oversize and what's their target
> > > size. So general info:
> >
> > broffice and xfce are the two that went over their targets. They need to
> > get back under 703 MiB. Games was almost hit, but still has enough cushion
> > that I can handle the hedgewars small increase in size which will be
> > showing up in a push tomorrow unless it gets negative karma before then.
> > But I'm still pretty close and will probably still implement whatever
> > we do for broffice and xfce.
> >
> AFAIK XFCE should require only -single, unless they pull
> gnome-desktop(3) for some reason.

libgnome-desktop is required by cheese, control-center and
gnome-settings-daemon. We could drop cheese, but we wont get rid of the
rest:
      * control-center is required by gnome-bluetooth
      * gnome-settings-daemon is required by gdm

There is no alternative to gdm and gnome-blueetooth [1].

> That grew by 1MB, probably due to
> increased complexity of the wallpaper. I'd investigate this one more
> throughout if I were you.

If I were or a member of the design team I would not push changes like
this one that late. I think this level of carelessness is inappropriate.

There are three solutions:
      * A gnome-desktop-libs package, but it is too late to change for
        F14.
      * Make gnome-desktop not depend on system-backgrounds-gnome.
      * Revert the changes on laughlin-backgrounds-gnome.

Regards,
Christoph

[1] blueman, the only alternative to gnome-bluetooth depends on
gnome-session which depends on control-center, so we end up with
gnome-desktop again.