laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 18:37:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 13:08 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 19:48:29 +0200,
>   Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 19:34 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> > >       * Make gnome-desktop not depend on system-backgrounds-gnome.
> > That would work as short term solution, but we have to be very careful
> > to install s-b-g wherever gnome desktop is installed and uses
> > system-wide default wallpaper.
>
> You misunderstand. gnome-desktop is going to be installed without
> laughlin-backgrounds-gnome being installed in this proposal. The question
> would be how to make that work. One option is not having the time of
> day based background the default.
I'm under the impression that you need to avoid it for broffice an xfce
spins only. We definitely want it installed by default on desktop spin,
design suite, etc., i.e. everywhere where gnome desktop is installed and
size isn't an issue.

I.e. IMHO we need solve two cases:
      * it is installed and used by default
      * gnome-desktop is being installed, but not the time-of-day
        wallpaper but it still works.

In short I don't see any other solution (that would satisfy both
parties) than two conflicting defaults... Yeah, if we could make one xml
work for both cases that would solve the issue nicely and in better way,
but I highly doubt that's possible.

Or maybe making it work using 'alternatives' (I totally don't know how
and for what this system works, but maybe worth investigating) -- having
one .xml symlinked to the simple .xml one unless the advanced package
gets installed (we could probably handle it via %post section) and then
add the advanced package to comps where desirable (would it work
correctly for spins?).

Martin