laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 11:09:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 11:28 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 10:22 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> > > The system-backgrounds (-gnome) virtual provides were introduced with
> > > for the explicit purpose of making gnome-desktop require them...
> > >
> > > Imo, reverting the changes to the background packages is the most
> > > conservative and appropriate action at this time.
> > This is a big no-no because:
> >       * it would degrade the quality of wallpaper (yes, the time-of-day
> >         addition wasn't the only thing that was done to the wallpaper)
> >       * it would reintroduce errors in cc-by attribution for the extras
> >         subpackage
> >
> > Since the time is tight I'm going now to do the following update
> >       * move the time-of-day images to l-b-animated(-gnome), rename and
> >         move there also current XMLs with description and info (so that
> >         it can be installed concurrent with the default)
> >       * recreate the XMLs for non-animated wallpaper and put them in
> >         l-b-gnome
> >       * run optipng on all images
> >
> > This would effectively revert the size bump of l-b-gnome while keeping
> > the other changes and giving the user choice to use animated wallpaper.
> >
> > Would be nice though, if you could then change the desktop spin
> > kickstart to use the animated version of the wallpaper by default as
> > we'd like to see it used on it.
> >
> Ok, I'm done with the packaging, just waiting for the optipng to finish
> (the already processed images are all seeing slightly above 10% decrease
> in size). Note that the changes are such that they revert the default
> wallpaper "infrastructure" to beta version while keeping the new images,
> move the time-of-day images into l-b-animated and introduce
> l-b-animated-gnome which contains XMLs needed for gnome. So effectively
> there is almost zero possibility breaking something by this change.
>
> I'll let you know when the update is ready so you can give karma.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/laughlin-backgrounds-14.1.0-1.fc14

Please log in and give karma. Given the change is small I set the
autokarma threshold to 2. It should make the spins small enough again.
Given the nature of changes, the only packages that might need quick
test are l-b-gnome and l-b-animated-gnome

As I said before, this is IMHO the best short-term solution for the
problem, we should however rethink how the default wallpaper is selected
(especially given that some spins use different default wallpapers) for
F15 and onward. I'll propose something later (maybe today, maybe
tomorrow, maybe next week, next month, but definitely before F15 Alpha).

Martin