Fedora 14 Beta RC2 (inc. live) available for desktop testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Sep 19 23:04:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 23:57 +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
> Hello,
> While it may not be what was asked for, there is a problem with the i686
> gnome desktop one. When I boot it, wait for the desktop to appear and
> then try and launch the orca screen reader http://live.gnome.org/Orca
> (press alt+f2 for run and then type orca and press enter) orca fails to
> load.
>
> Unfortunately as I rely on orca for output from the system I cannot see
> any error message when I launch orca from gnome-terminal. However I can
> say the following, I know the sound and text to speech chain is working
> from orca as when I give the command "orca -t" from gnome-terminal orca
> will go through its text based set up questions providing speech output.
> Even after doing the text based set up and logging out and back in orca
> still fails to load.
>
> This is a severe accessibility issue.
>
> As I said, being unable to see I cannot get the error message so cannot
> proceed with working out the cause, however if someone could try
> launching orca (without any options) from gnome-terminal and give me the
> output, I can try and find out the cause.

Thanks for reporting this. I agree entirely, this is clearly a major
issue for anyone who relies on Orca. Unfortunately we don't capture
accessibility stuff in the release criteria right now, which is an
omission we should fix and I'm sorry about that.

The error I get trying to run orca from a terminal is a Python
traceback:

[adamw at vaioz live]$ orca
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": libatk-bridge.so:

(orca:31286): Bonobo-WARNING **: Bonobo must be initialized before use
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 2205, in
main
    init(pyatspi.Registry)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 1618, in
init
    "object:children-changed")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/registry.py", line 269,
in registerEventListener
    self._set_default_registry ()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/registry.py", line 163,
in _set_default_registry
    self._set_registry (MAIN_LOOP_GLIB)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/registry.py", line 134,
in _set_registry
    cache = AccessibleCache (app_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/cache.py", line 326, in
__init__
    self._manager = DesktopCacheManager (self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/cache.py", line 87, in
__init__
    bus = SyncAccessibilityBus (registry.Registry())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/busutils/bus.py", line
163, in __new__
    _bus.BusConnection.__new__ (cls, _get_accessibility_bus_address(),
None)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyatspi/busutils/bus.py", line
30, in _get_accessibility_bus_address
    from Xlib import display, Xatom
ImportError: No module named Xlib

looks like it may wind up being a dependency issue, if the Xlib module
is available somehow; if not, it means orca needs rewriting in some way,
or the module got renamed, or the module hasn't been rebuilt for Python
2.7, or something like that. I will file a bug, mark it as NTH for Beta
RC3, and investigate. Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey