F14 Beta RC3 images available for validation testing!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 22 08:05:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 23:35 -0400, Donald Buchan wrote:
> FWIW I downloaded the F14 Beta-rc3 i686 liveCD to run it through a few
> basic desktop tests, and there was one apparent hiccup.
>
> When I turned on the printer, the system correctly identified my printer
> -- an HP Deskjet F4180 with an integrated flatbed scanner -- and
> automatically found and installed the necessary driver(s) and
> dependencies.  However when I tried to use "simple scan" it still
> insisted that it couldn't find a connected scanner, or that maybe it
> wasn't turned on (ie. it was connected and turned on.)  I have xSane
> installed on my F12 system, and as I recall all I did during the
> post-install process was install xSane, and the scanner (and printer)
> worked fine from the get-go.

I'd say give Ivan's idea a shot here.

> - Terminal: su command -- successful, but I found it unnerving that
> there isn't a password for the root account; I suppose that assigning a
> root password and publicizing it may actually be worse than not
> assigning one at all, since some person will be lulled into thinking "oh
> well it's password protected" not realizing that in not changing it, any
> cracker who somehow manages to get into the system by whatever means
> would easily try the password announced in the same place that innocent
> liveCD users would find it: on a public web page!

There's that, and logically speaking there's absolutely no reason to
have a root password on a live image. You need to be able to boot the
machine to run a live image, and any machine you can boot is a machine
on which you have root access (it's trivial enough to find some kind of
bootable media which gives you 'root' of some kind, or even to build
your own).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey