Fw: Re: New F15 Wallpaper and Idea for Easier defaults switching

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:41:41 UTC 2011

Oops, forgot to CC the desktop list.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:39:13 +0100
From: Martin Sourada <martin DOT sourada AT gmail DOT com>
To: Christoph Wickert <christoph DOT wickert AT googlemail DOT com>
Subject: Re: New F15 Wallpaper and Idea for Easier defaults switching

Hi Christoph,

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 18:19:08 +0100
Christoph Wickert wrote:

> lxde-common and lxdm als use usr/share/backgrounds/default.png. Just
> like slim and some others. This means we still need
> usr/share/backgrounds/default.png and the desktop-backgrounds-compat
> package.
>
> I am not sure if we need
> [release-name]-backgrounds-[desktop-environment] packages. I suggest
Their primary purpose is to add the wallpaper to the lists in
background choosers (plus both GNOME and KDE have their own
specifications so we need more files than just the images)

>       * do all of that in desktop-backgrounds-compat, it's just a few
>         symlinks
>       * build the desktop specific subpackages as part of
>         desktop-backgrounds rather than [release-name]-backgrounds. If
>         somebody has the packages of 2 different releases installed,
>         the subpackages will collide.
Actually, I have thought about that but didn't consider it too common
to install wallpapers from rawhide into stable releases. It's done in a
way that within a single release it wouldn't collide. But your idea
seems slightly better, I'd just prefer if they were subpackages of the
[release-name]-backgrounds (we could actually make the current virtual
provides into their own package so the system-backgrounds-* would
actually be packages of their own) to keep the packages needed to
update to minimum. We could probably also move
the /usr/share/backgrounds/default.png out of
desktop-backgrounds-compat to system-backgrounds-compat (I wonder who
initially came with the system-backgrounds name for the virtual
provides...).

All this would make the update consist of two packages.
It also seems a little cleaner to me to have one %if in each
[release-name]-backgrounds package than zillions of %ifs (or different
SPECs between branches) in desktop-backgrounds.

In short, e.g. for GNOME the packages generated by
[release-name]-backgrounds would be
[release-name]-backgrounds-{single,gnome} and system-backgrounds-gnome
(if on [release-name]). Of course all properly versioned to allow
smooth upgrade path between releases. But if you'd still prefer the
defaults to be handled via desktop-backgrounds-* I can go that way as
well.

What do you think?

Regards,
Martin