Gnome3 multiple monitors

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 08:56:03 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 11:35 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 23:01 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>> I'm curios to know if Gnome3/Gnome shell will support "locking"
>> workspaces to monitors for example I would be able to have workspace
>> one on monitor one and workspace 2 on monitor 2 and workspace 3 monitor
>> 3 etc.
> The plans wrt. workspaces is discussed in the bugs I link to in my blog
> post:
> http://www.hadess.net/2011/02/gnome-3-test-day.html
>
> Questions 4 and 5.
>
> If you need more details on either of these, best look in the
> gnome-shell bugzilla (upstream), ask on #gnome-shell on GIMPNet, or
> e-mail the shell list

What I mention was a nice to have feature but not something that worked
before ( and long awaiting one for some of us ).

The list that William has in bug 609258 in upstream bugzilla is clear
enough.

I personally would prefer the Top Menu Bar to expand <----> onto all
screens instead of having it just on one as William mentioned in the
rough outlined plan but not doing it is just keeping the same behaviour
as it is in Gnome2.

I get the sense of something is missing not having top menu bar on all
monitors but hey that's just me.

On a different note I tested hooking Gnome3 up to my 1920x1080 TV ( I'm
not sure if we cover that on our test days ) and did not notice any bug.

Switching back and fourth between the laptop and tv was a smooth
experience.

Thanks for the links and heads up.

Cheers

JBG