GNOME3 feature page - updated scoped and comments

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 18:33:43 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 05:45 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Profiles don't work when you need to go into the preferences to switch
> them. Especially in that case when it's to work-around what an
> application does.
>
> The way the system behaves should really be "helped" by the
> applications. If the application knows that the user is reading a book,
> then it should disable idle. That's already what Totem and Evince do
> when you're watching a movie or doing a presentation.

Ah yes but that would not turn off/disable bluethooth and networking etc.

Basically when you unplugged the power cable the end user could be
presented with an option to select predefined task oriented power
managing profiles and present that to the user like "Surfing the web"
"Reading" "Watching a movie" "Perform general tasks" "Dont take any
power saving actions" etc.

Basically tailor the power saving to a specific task is going to perform
as in reducing the power consumption by turning everything off/down
except what's strictly necessary to give enjoyable experience on the
task he's going to be performing to save as much power as possible.

As an example if I would choose "Reading" I know I wont be surfing the
internet so turn off the network card, I know I wont be using bluetooth
so turn that off to save power etc. stuff more in that direction but of
course the application needs to be able to disable idle as you have
mentioned.

But yeah this might be a bit far fetch idea..

Cheers

JBG