Future of panel applets

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:16:58 UTC 2011

What is the future of panel applets?

A lot of them (all?) failed to build in the ongoing mass rebuild, so I
wonder
      * if they will be completely dropped or still work with
        gnome-panel in fallback mode?
      * if we should continue maintaining then and if not, if there are
        any plans to make gnome-panel obsolete the orphaned applets?

I know that GNOME 3 is a big step ahead, but frankly speaking I'm a
little worried about the massive impact on other packages / desktops /
maintainers on the one hand and the lack of communication on the other.

Can you please provide the maintainers more info in order to reduce the
fallout we currently see in rawhide?

Regards,
Christoph