Future of panel applets

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Feb 11 15:51:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 10:46 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
+AD4 On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Christoph Wickert
+AD4 +ADw-christoph.wickert+AEA-googlemail.com+AD4 wrote:
+AD4 +AD4 What is the future of panel applets?
+AD4
+AD4 There is none in Fedora right now.
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4 A lot of them (all?) failed to build in the ongoing mass rebuild, so I
+AD4 +AD4 wonder
+AD4 +AD4      +ACo if they will be completely dropped or still work with
+AD4 +AD4        gnome-panel in fallback mode?
+AD4
+AD4 I don't think it makes sense to invest a lot of engineering time into
+AD4 fallback+ADs so it will likely be very close to what it is now.  If an
+AD4 applet is adapted to the changes in libpanel-applet-3.0 I guess it
+AD4 could work in fallback.
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4      +ACo if we should continue maintaining then and if not, if there are
+AD4 +AD4        any plans to make gnome-panel obsolete the orphaned applets?
+AD4
+AD4 Depends on the particular applet upstream I guess.
+AD4
+AD4 +AD4 I know that GNOME 3 is a big step ahead, but frankly speaking I'm a
+AD4 +AD4 little worried about the massive impact on other packages / desktops /
+AD4 +AD4 maintainers on the one hand and the lack of communication on the other.
+AD4
+AD4 I hope the above helps.

I suspect this will be a common question from applet maintainers.

Colin, is there something we can add to the questions/comments section
of the feature page +AFs-1+AF0 on this topic?  Perhaps a pointer to a migration
guide wiki, or some developer instructions?

Thanks,
James

+AFs-1+AF0
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome3+ACM-Comments+AF8-and+AF8-Discussion