Future of panel applets

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 11 17:09:58 UTC 2011

Hi Colin,

thanks for the info.

Am Freitag, den 11.02.2011, 10:46 -0500 schrieb Colin Walters:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > What is the future of panel applets?
>
> There is none in Fedora right now.

What does this mean for me as a maintainer of several applets?

> > A lot of them (all?) failed to build in the ongoing mass rebuild, so I
> > wonder
> >      * if they will be completely dropped or still work with
> >        gnome-panel in fallback mode?
>
> I don't think it makes sense to invest a lot of engineering time into
> fallback; so it will likely be very close to what it is now.  If an
> applet is adapted to the changes in libpanel-applet-3.0 I guess it
> could work in fallback.

OK, it seems like some of my packages built successfully, so I assume
applets are not completely dead for now, at least from a technical POV.

> >      * if we should continue maintaining then and if not, if there are
> >        any plans to make gnome-panel obsolete the orphaned applets?
>
> Depends on the particular applet upstream I guess.

I don't think so, I was rather thinking of the packaging site. We need
to have proper Provides/Obsoletes in place for a clean upgrade.

Regards,
Christoph