Future of panel applets

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Feb 11 18:11:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:22:36 -0500, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think so, I was rather thinking of the packaging site. We need
>> to have proper Provides/Obsoletes in place for a clean upgrade.
>
> The issue here is that if you had one of these installed,
> preupgrade/yum will prefer preserving the applet package over
> upgrading the OS core?  And that we work around that by adding some
> Obsoletes to some random package in the core OS to trick it?  Okay, I
> guess, though it feels weird.  These things are very similar to
> Firefox extensions, and they have an explicit UI which says "The
> following addons are no longer compatible...".

The difference being Firefox extensions do not have RPM packaging
dependencies on a program that is being overhauled as much as GNOME is.
Most GNOME applets require one or the other .so version provided by a
gnome-* package, right? This would pin down the original gnome-* package
which is supposed to be upgraded. Similar, yes, but very much so not the
same thing.

-- Jeroen