Font changes / Cantarell

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 19:34:09 UTC 2011

> Jared K. Smith (jsmith at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > I know that Gnome is using Cantarell as its default font, and it seems
> > that something has changed in Fedora to make Cantarell the default
> > font for all desktops.  I heard from the KDE SIG this morning that
> > there is some confusion as to whether that was intended to be a global
> > change, or a change only for the Gnome desktop.
> >
> > I don't pretend to have a clue when it comes to fonts or the
> > fontconfig stuff -- but I'd like to kick off this discussion so that
> > there is less confusion and that nobody tries to ascribe to malice
> > that which can be explained by miscommunication.   Is there someone
> > that understands the change that can fill me in on the missing
> > details?
>
> If it has become the default font for all desktops, it's likely due
> to it becoming the default mapping for Sans in fontconfig. (Whether that
> was intentional, I don't know.)

Not intentional, afaik.
The plan is to set the dconf keys used by gnome for fonts to 'Cantarell'
explicitly, so we don't have to rely on the 'Sans' alias. For a while,
the Adwaita theme was hardcoding the font to Cantarell, too. But we've
since decided to use drop that and use the dconf key. The culprit might
be /etc/fonts/conf.d/57-cantarell.conf. Unfortunately, I don't know
enough about fontconfig syntax to figure that out on the spot...