Per user vs. system settings in GNOME 3 (was Re: How do we change fonts now)

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 01:45:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 23:57 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Except that for most of the settings, the line between preferences and
> settings is quite blurry (for example, the "Date & Time" allows you to
> change the timezone for the system, but also your preference for 12h
> or
> 24h clock display).

That's probably the reason why changing the clock to 24H reporting in
your account which has a role as administrator is not reflected to the
clock present in GDM.

I'm not so sure why you want to allow each user to change the time/clock
settings et all that should just be handled by the administrator from my
perspective.

> > One thing that are tied to those settings that it's hard to
> different
> > when your are being asked to provide the root password or the logged
> in
> > user password or the "Administrator" password.
>
> That's a very fair point. File it upstream please.

You do realize that if I wanted to participate upstream in any way or
form we would be having that discussion there not on this list and that
applies probably to most Fedora community members since most if not all
of us are very capable of joining and participating in the upstream
community's chooses we do so and that's something the Desktop team seems
to be having trouble to understand and or grasp since you( as in the
Desktop team ) are pushing the upstream Gnome bit strongly on Fedora
community these days or so it seems...

Speaking for myself I have chosen to settle on participating in one
community and that community is the Fedora community and even if I
wanted to be a part of more then one community I simply don't have the
time and even if I did have the time my first choice would not be the
Gnome community due to various reasons.

JBG