How do we change fonts now

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Fri Feb 25 23:30:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:31:41 +0000
Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 14:55 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> > Please, oh please, someone tell me how to change the fonts in gnome 3
> > now.  My old eyes, even with glasses and a magnifying glass are starting
> > to hurt.
>
> search for "Universal Access" (under system settings), and change the
> "text size".

So I'm coming just a little late to this conversation...I found it through
trying to solve the same problem.

The "Universal Access" button is not where I would think to look for
ordinary system settings.  But I went there, and found two options to make
the fonts bigger than they are now.

I don't want them bigger.  They just *got* bigger through the occasional
(seemingly) mandatory forgetting of all my previous settings, to the point
that they take more screen space than I want.  I want the fonts smaller.
How do I do that?

Seriously, can it be that a classic font selection dialog, like what we've
had since, well, forever, is too much for GNOME 3?  I feel like I'm
missing something.  We have different monitors, different needs, different
preferences; a single font selection will never work for everybody.
Please tell me this is coming back?

Thanks,

jon