F15 Alpha RC2 available for desktop validation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 16:32:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 11:22 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 02/27/2011 12:49 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hey, folks - just a note that Alpha RC2 is now available:
> >
> > http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/15-Alpha.RC2/
> >
> > and help to fill out the desktop validation tests:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_15_Alpha_RC2_Desktop
> >
> > would be greatly welcome. As always, just follow the instructions in the
> > test cases and record your results in the tables, and let me know if you
> > have any trouble or questions.
> >
> > If anyone's wondering about LXDE, it hasn't been spun yet because gmixer
> > was orphaned; we should sort that out with rel-eng.
> >
> > Thanks everyone!
>
> I take it we test RC2 BEFORE applying updates-testing?

Yes.

> Wondering if
> that is time-effective since the updates break things in various ways.

Yes, it is, because what we will release is RC2 (assuming no more
blockers are discovered in testing). We freeze the tree expressly to
allow us to test a set of code which isn't being changed every five
minutes.

> Maybe a RC3 with fixes to the updates better serves our use of time?

No. If we didn't freeze the tree and just kept spinning with the latest
changes anyone wanted to throw at it, we'd never get something
releaseable. We always release (both pre-releases and final releases)
with code that is significantly 'behind' what's in updates-testing at
the time, this is how the process is intended to work.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey