How do we change fonts now

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 16:52:23 UTC 2011

> Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) said:
> > > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/data/org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings.gschema.xml.in.in#n13
> > > and:
> > > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xsettings/gsd-xsettings-manager.c#n263
> > >
> > > So if you didn't much about with the default configuration (or inherited
> > > it from a GNOME 2.x installation), we use the X server's DPI.
> >
> > ack. so it's X's decision to default to 96dpi now? Because that's
> > certainly what happens; I boot F15 on my P and I get almost literally
> > unreadable font sizes.
>
> I don't know about 'now'... just did a brief test on a variety of machines
> here running both older and newer OSes, and it defaults to 96dpi on all of
> them (and all of them have EDIDs with geometry.)

Hmm. I'm sure it used to use auto-detect. The lack of a setting for it
is still a bugbear for me, but not really a serious one - I acknowledge
that the number of people who are going to know that they ought to set
the DPI, and know what to set it to, is small, and most such people can
do it with dconf anyway.

(I still think we should consider using auto-detected DPI by default,
though. Laptops are increasingly coming with displays featuring
significantly higher than 96dpi resolution; I'm wondering when the first
2k LCDs will hit.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey