comps changes for f15

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jan 13 17:33:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:54 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> It didn't happen back then. I think we can get back to 700M with some
>> discipline.
>
> one of the common themes of the F14 review cycle was ridiculing the lack
> of an office suite on the desktop image, particularly given the presence
> of 'useless' things like planner (I'm paraphrasing from the reviews, not
> giving my own personal opinion). I know we have good arguments against
> including an office suite, and I suspect planner is just in there as a
> hangover from when we tried to include GNOME Office, but there does seem
> to be a consistent impression in reviews that the current package choice
> seems bizarre.

It's all a workaround for the fact that we don't have an application
installer...

> It's worth at least considering going to 1GB to have
> LibreOffice, I think, and if we don't, we should drop planner from the
> desktop spin as well as dropping LibreOffice, to avoid the apparent
> weirdness of having a planning tool but no other office apps.

I really don't like not having a CD sized image; this has all been
discussed in the past on the list.

It's unfortunate conflation that the larger distributable DVD ==
anaconda OS; removing that conflation would allow us to have a larger
image that included openoffice and of course any other popular apps
and extensions.

This path would be extending the anaconda live installer to be able to
*also* optionally consume RPMs from the DVD image for install, or
actually, just default to a regular RPM installation, and duplicate
the space between the live image and the included RPMs for the base.