Gnome Shell

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:04:31 UTC 2011

On 01/28/2011 02:41 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:27:43AM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 09:20 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> If we are not there yet, then why don't we wait until F16 for Gnome
>>> 3/Gnome Shell?  I see this as being exactly the same as the situation
>>> was with systemd--it wasn't polished in time for F14, so it had to
>>> wait until F15.  Why should Gnome be any different?  Why should the
>>> users have to put up with a half-baked user experience for F15?

This is a valid point and FESCO should be consistent and treat things
equally within the project one of the point that made against systemd
was lack of documentation I don't see why this should be treated any
differently.

Given that this is the so called "Default" and affects significant
portion of the Fedora's existing user base this needs to be in pristine
contention before pushed out.

>> Lack of extensions != half-baked user experience. GNOME 3 will give you
>> a fully baked, crip user experience without extensions...

No it will give users a fully baked cip user experience if users where
used to using "Gnome Applets" and an equal "extensions" is missing

How about Gnome Theme-ing support where does it stand alot of users like
to custom their look and feel?

> Thanks, good to know.  Sorry for my scepticism.  Now that you've reset
> my expectations, I'll try it out during the Test Days to make sure
> there are no regressions in user experience&  capabilities compared to
> gnome-panel/nautilus and Gnome 2.

Well as has been mentioned  a simple way for users to create custom
launcher is lacking in Gnome Shell.

JBG